Many programs will log data to a CSV (comma separated value) file. These files are usually structured with a standard format. Let’s say you want to import the data into a database or spreadsheet. There is an alternative to importing 2, 5, 10 or 100+ files one at a time. You can concatenate the files into one file. Here is how you do it…
- Create a new directory on your hard drive (ie: C:\CSV-Files)
- Copy all the files into a new directory.
- Open a command window by clicking Start->Run. In the open line type “cmd” and hit return
- CD to the directory you created in step one (ie: cd C:\CSV-Files)
- Copy all the files to a single file… copy *.csv consolidated.csv
- You can now import consolidated.csv into your database or spreadsheet.